Friday, December 14, 2007

Holy Season of Advent


This is our Advent Wreath that the kids and I finally made just a couple days ago. I chose a wreath that was in our basement which we no longer use, bought some ornaments at Target - they were perfect! Purple and pink and red...and the last box of them! - And a little container of the small gold bulbs. The candles we got from my mom and dad who got them from their parish. They were brandnew and they are obviously on the huge side since they are intended for the church's Advent wreath.

The kids got to place the ornaments while I hot glued them on. We just love the way it turned out. Way better than I expected.

We're also reading our Advent story Bartholomew's Passage

but if you don't already have this trilogy you'll pay a pretty penny per book on such sites as Amazon and Ebay! Seems last year they were switching publishing companies [?]. Anyway, it's out of print. But I believe I read or heard that they'll be back in print soon!

Every night during Advent you read a chapter. The beginning of each chapter tells you which candles to light on your wreath. And these stories are wonderful! We're in our third and final book. Then next year we'll start all over again with Jotham!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

The wreath turned out beautiful! What a great idea!

Shelly said...

I can just see Father Frank now, saying: now where did I put those Advent candles?

Sarah Faith said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I am a fairly new Catholic and we really want to start some Advent traditions with the kids but I really have no idea where to start. This helps!

Shelly said...

First, the comment after Kelly's is actually from Paul!

Sarah, I'd like to have your blog address. I'm just wondering if your the same "Sarah" I'm thinking you are. Thanks and a Blessed Christmas.

Megan said...

I went to the author's website at few weeks ago and it said the books will be available for Advent 2008! I only need Tabitha's Travels to finish my collection, thanks for the loan this year. I will continue to rotate them each year. Awesome books!

And I agree with Kelly, beautiful wreath!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post..

Unknown said...

Good Job, Shelly,

Can't wait to see the wreath on Sunday!

God Bless You,
Mom

Vicki said...

Your wreath looks great!

We're doing Bartholomew's Passage this year too - I bought it on ebay for $56.00! I just looked on Amazon and Tabitha's Travels is going for $800 - they've got to be kidding!

Katherine T. Lauer said...

What a beautiful wreath you created!